Air duct cleaning – is it necessary?January 12, 2020
First of all, let’s start with a simple answer. Yes, it is necessary to clean the air ducts. There are many reasons to clean your air ducts and better to have it done by a professional at least once a year. Cleaning the air ducts will remove dust and the debris that are collected in the ducts on a daily basis. Everyone prefers a clean, healthy air circulation at home, it is a must especially for those who are sensitive and allergic to dust and bacterias that might build up in the air duct system.
Here we will provide you with the five main reasons air ducts should be cleaned and serviced:
1. Allergies. Properly cleaning and maintaining the air duct system, homeowners protect their families from breathing dust and other debris that circulate in the air ducts. Air ducts are a breeding ground for bacterias, mold, mildew, fungi and other allergens. These might result in allergies, asthma and other breathing problems especially for children, elderly and pregnant women.
2. Mold. In Texas most air duct systems are located in the attic. Since the weather here is hot most of the time, and the air circulates in the air ducts is cold most of the time this result in condensation and moisture. These may cause the growth of mold and mildewing the air ducts, around them and in the air duct system as well.
3. Pets. Having pets is great and so mush fun but at the same time requires a lot of maintenance. Animal’s forgets trapped in the air ducts and results in building up living germs, bacteria and allergy-causing debris. The pet fur might also reduce the efficiency of the A/C system and result in spending more money since the A/C will use more electricity.
4. Dust. If the air ducts are not cleaned on a yearly basis you will start noticing that dust level grows, it just comes back again and again even if cleaned every day. The reason is that the dust circulates with the air in the air ducts and throughout the house. Dust level will grow significantly especially in new built homes and homes after construction.
5. Efficiency. A dirty air duct system will result in consuming more electricity in order to work good. Dust, dirt, hair, fur, and other pollutants that allow in the air ducts will require the A/C system work harder and you will notice it on the electric bill.
Another reason to clean the ducts, that we choose not to mark as one of the five above, is just common scene. The same reason you won’t leave your house dusted and the same reason you wouldn’t want to breath dirty air you should clean air ducts.